Saturday, May 15, 2010

Once Upon a Time in Americestan

I am in the United States now, to be more specific in Denver/Colorado. After finishing my PhD it was time for a new job. I applied to a offering and everything went pretty fast after that. And so here I am. I never been in the US before and I was not even sure if they would let me in. I mean, how would they accept an Iranian who was born in an Arabic country and lived in Hamburg? But it was not a problem at all to get in. No long interrogations no cavity tests.
It's time for me to discover the American way of life. There are a lot of things I have already seen in TV and now in real, like giant orange and milk bottles, steaming drain covers, fast food restaurants at each corner, walkable closets, GE electrical devices everywhere. It is not easy to change the environment. I have to get used to all these new units for distance, weight, etc. and I have to pay with these strange green bills.
There was a lot of paper work to do and I still have to do more. The next big thing for me is to get the social security number, the number that I have to keep secret and that everyone is asking for.
That's it for now. I will write more about Denver and my job here soon. So, don't forget to take a look from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment